Thursday, April 18, 2013

Making fun a priority...again.

It would appear that no matter how hard I try, I have to regularly decide, once again, that fun is important. It seems like I should be able to make it a priority in life more easily.

Why isn't it easy?

• Laundry
• House to clean
• 2 dogs and one cat
• Full time job
• Light bulbs keep going out
• Both kids have an activity a week
• Step-daughter drama
• New job next school year
• Trying to keep up with Dipaers, Baby Food, Formula...
• Maintaining relationships
• I volunteer - maybe too much
• I have two kids...I am supposed to have fun WITH them...

I could go on and on, but what mother couldn't go on and on and on...yeah...you understand what I am saying here.

I often feel like I don't have time to have fun with my husband or my kids. I certainly don't have time to go out and have fun with friends. Just trying to schedule time with friends is a monumental effort of scheduling, emailing, texting, calling, and facebook posts that is exhausting. By the time I get to dinner, we have spent two months just trying to coordinate schedules to sit down and eat for 30 minutes before we have to hurry back to drive a kid somewhere or pick a kid up from the friend that would watch him or her for part of the evening.

Trying to go on a date with my husband is almost as tiring. Between finding a sitter, planning an actual date, getting ready, preparing the kids, feeding the pets, leaving the house spotless, (You don't want the sitter thinking you are a slob, even if you do have a preschooler and an 8 month old!), writing down routines, listing snacks, having the snacks prepared, and trying to coordinate with another couple (maybe), one is tired by the time we pull out of the garage.

Sigh.

What is a girl to do? I am not really sure...sometimes I feel like I just keep running in a circle trying to get to "that" place that will make "this" easier. Not sure what any of it is, but that is what it feels like. Racing around a track with no end...no answer...no spot where you can finally say, "Done!"

So making fun a priority: I am going to do it! I am taking my son to Gymboree tonight, my daughter has gymnastics tomorrow, and my husband swears he will plan our next date for this week. Then we will drive 400 miles to celebrate my grandmother's 101st birthday.

I am starting to feel tired already...


No comments:

Post a Comment