Monday, January 6, 2014

Day 6 of 2014...

We are six days into our new year and it seems a bit overwhelming. We are bombarded with specials, commercials, people all talking about making this change and that change. Our friends are posting these amazing and lofty goals on Facebook. To be honest, it feels like everyone is trying to out do the last person.

Are we in a competition with each other? I thought resolutions were supposed to be attainable and just for you? So, please don't comment that you are going to eat clean all year when you spend your days downing Whoppers. Don't throw out to the universe that you are going to run a marathon when you can't even get up and down the stairs in your house. Please don't tell me you are going to be supermom through some extraordinary act of balancing your career, fitness, faith, kids, husband, philanthropic endeavors, and fundraising all while sipping wine Saturday afternoon with the girls.

Okay...some of those previous examples might be a bit of an exaggeration, but not much. People, can we just have some normal resolutions where we might make it to day 7 of the new year without feeling like a failure? Can we decide that we are making the resolution so it makes us, individually, a better person? Can we decide to do something important to us - not our friends on Facebook? I feel like we are concluding the week of bragging about the lofty goals we want to reach, while everyone knows you can't keep up the pace you set.

I love resolutions, but I hate failing at them. So, I have decided to be reasonable. I am not suddenly going to be super mom, eat perfectly, workout five times a week, or perfectly balance my responsibilities. I am not going to be able to get a monthly massage because it is good for me or drink green tea every day for its health benefits. I am not going to lose 20 pounds or organize my entire house.

What am I going to do? De-clutter a little bit at a time. Get rid of things I know I don't need. Get stronger by working out when I can. Try every day to prioritize appropriately so I can balance the best I can that day. Even that list sounds a bit overwhelming! I hope I can manage this...and I hope you can manage your resolutions! Here is to a successful 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment