Sunday, June 1, 2014

Summertime Nostalgia

As the last day of school arrives, there is a crazy excitement of what is to come. I think at this time we are all reliving our glorious summer days of youth.

I don't mean to burst your bubble, people, but, as Billy Joel said, "The good ole days weren't always good." Our hopes will never live up to the expectations we set forth for summer.

Am I being pessimistic? Maybe. I might still wish for the days of no stress and someone else paying the mortgage, yet I know they weren't as awesome as I remember them. Nostalgia is a tricky thing.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE summer. I look forward to it, get excited for it, and have high hopes. I want to live in the moment and not just survive the summer, but I want to being able to look enjoy every moment. Not just for summer, but for everything.

I struggle not dwelling on the past. Wishing I had enjoyed some particular event more than I did. Wishing I had appreciated someone more than I did. Wishing I had made a different choice.

My point is...I struggle living in the moment and really LIVING. I struggle not beating myself up over the mistakes I have made or the failures that have occurred due to my poor decision making. I wish I could live more happy and thankful every day. I want to do that, but find that my mind always goes to some alternative.

Sigh.

Here is my pledge as the last day of school concludes:
*I will live this summer in the moment and appreciate and be thankful for all I have.
*I will try to erase the negativity and stay positive regardless of the situation.
*I will accept the decisions I make because at the time, I am making the best possible decision I can.
*I will stop beating myself up on the inevitable imperfection I embody.

Simply put:
I will be happy being me!

No comments:

Post a Comment